Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Little Thrills and Big Thrills

Alan had his kindergarten performance last week.  He was supposed to wear beach/fishing clothes.  He was not enthused about dressing up until I suggested his fishing hat.  Then he picked out his favorite shirt (made by Grandma Sarah) and matched the shorts to it. 
 Holly charted how every song and whether or not Alan was doing the motions and whether or not he was singing.  He sang his favorites, I think.  And while he sang and did the motions for the song his class did on stage, he didn't face the audience.
 I admit to tearing up when they all did the finale - to the tune of New York, New York!  and singing about going to First Grade, First Grade!

Then Friday after school we packed up and drove to Paris Mtn State Park in Greenville, SC, for a camping trip with Sean's family.  Last year we went to a state park in Myrtle Beach.  Every Memorial Day weekend Sean's family gets together for the weekend camping trip at a place of one of the family's choosing.  I got to choose this year, being new and all.
 I picked the park because it's close to my brother's family and I thought they might be able to join us there, even if they couldn't camp.  And they did.  And the joined in on the trips to the creek, the lake swimming, the bike riding, and the eating, with a few short walks thrown in when we could fit it.  Noah and Olivia got to spend the night Sunday night.  The last thing I said to my brother was 'Don't worry, we won't lose them'.  Then at dusk, I thought I'd lost Olivia and both my girls.  I thought they were at that creek and took them a lantern to get back to camp in the dark.  They weren't there.  They'd gone to see a waterfall with Sean's brother and his kids and Alan.  Slight miscommunication.  Oops.  I think I contained my panic well until they turned up.
 Holly took the swim test to get into the deep end of the lake swimming area twice.  The first time she left her head up out of the icky water.  The next time she swam head down - because the longer she swam head up in the deep, the more tired she got and the lifeguard eventually told her to go to the shallow.  So she had to prove herself again.  She was proud of herself I think.

Jillian was a great camper.  We set up her pack n play in the tent and she had a tarp and blanket down outside to crawl on. 
 I really thought she was smiling in this picture from the thumbnail on the computer.  Oh well.  I think she kind of resembles Sean's Aunt Becky - when she's happy.

One trick I learned from Sean's mom I brought home with me.  She gave Jillian a bath in a dishpan.  I think she really was just letting her play in it, but I used the opportunity to clean her up.  And this morning I used my dishpan in the tub to give her another bath.  She's at the age when she likes to crawl around the tub, and the dishpan gives her water to splash in, but also support.  I highly recommend it.  A $2 baby bathtub.  I love it.



Then tonight was the girls' awards night for school.  Julia missed the all A honor roll for the year by getting one B in the first or second quarter.  She was close - like a point away - but not close enough.  She was jealous of Holly's all A's for the year.  However, she received 2 awards she wasn't expecting - a character award from her teacher and a presidential education award that was based on grades and some test score.  I think she liked the character award best.  And I must admit it makes me think maybe we're all doing all right afterall.

No comments: