Sunday, February 19, 2012

I added a website named Letters of Note to my Google Reader roll.  They share old letters - some from famous people and some not famous.  All the letters so far have been worth the read to me.  I especially liked the letter posted on Thursday from Mark Twain to the man who interviewed him for Ladies' Home Journal.  Twain basically told the man that he had the facts from their talk but none of the meaning behind the words because of the loss of inflection and laughter in his translation.  And as I read the letter, the thought occurred to me that I don't enjoy reading many interviews with people - probably for that reason.

Then last night I read an article about Whitney Houston's funeral.  A few people were quoted in the article - Tyler Perry being one.  His quote was something about grace carrying Whitney Houston through her life.  Talking to my mom later, she mentioned watching the funeral on TV and how Perry "preached" as he talked.  Well, I didn't get the feeling from the article I read that he was preaching anything.  And then the news showed a snippet of Perry talking.  They showed him saying the words that were quoted in the article I read.  Wow.  It was a whole new meaning watching and listening to him than it was reading the words.

Usually on the computer I choose to read the transcript over watch the video.  I find too many ads or extra nonsense in the video and I'd rather read the article to find just the information I'm looking for.  Now I may have to change my tactic.


No comments: