Friday, October 12, 2012

Sandpaper & T-shirts

Thanks to Pinterest, I found a new way to get designs on t-shirts.

A few years ago I tried the freezer paper stencil on a t-shirt trick.  And it wasn't hard to do, but I never did as many as I promised the girls I would.  Finding a design that I liked, that meant something, and that lent itself to stencilling wasn't easy for me.  This new way is something I think we can all do:

 You draw your design on sandpaper (remembering to reverse lettering if you use it), then flip the sandpaper over and iron it on to the shirt.  (It is best to stick a paper or something between the shirt layers and also over the sandpaper to protect both the back side of the shirt and your iron.)  After ironing off any excess crayon, and setting the color in the dryer (the first shirt I made for Jillian was the Super Grover symbol and the G seems to have washed out because I didn't set it well enough), you have some pretty cute shirts:
This particular shirt was designed by Julia especially for Jillian and Eliza Cate.  I did the ironing, but I'm pretty sure she could have done that part, too.

No comments: