Monday, November 5, 2012

Growing Up

Julia lost her last baby tooth over the weekend.

It makes me a little sad.  I have it in my pocket, waiting I guess for her to ask to send it to the tooth fairy.  I don't think she will.  And so I wonder if the tooth fairy should come anyway.  With a fantastic glittery note.

She got an ipod for her birthday last week.  Today she walked home from school and dropped the ipod on the walk.  The front is all broken.  Alan got a glass splinter in his hand checking it out.  But Julia was not in tears coming in the door.  She seemed to think I would be the one to be upset about it.  I know she has to be upset herself, but it doesn't seem to be top of her list to make sure something is done to fix it.

And I guess that could mean either she realizes it is only a toy, or it could signal that she has no doubt that it will be fixed and quickly and there's no sense getting worked up about it.

So I wonder if I should put off getting it fixed.

Because maybe having to wait for it would be a good thing.  And because it's no cheap fix.

Then I think back to last week.

Halloween night Julia went trick-or-treating with 3 friends and Holly.  They had a great time walking around my mom's neighborhood (where there are street lights and sidewalks) by themselves.  Only one house questioned their ages (only Julia and one friend went up to this house, the other girls were otherwise occupied).  And the woman turned them away - told them they were too old and to get off her porch.

Rude.

I knew just the house when Julia told me.  As we passed it, she did the same thing to 2 older boys.  And it made me angry and sad and frustrated that while we complain about not wanting kids to grow up too fast, we then cut them out of childhood fun.

Only the whole incident didn't really bother Julia.  She had a great time trick-or-treating. (She told me her response to the woman was a curtsy and a "Well, trick-or-treat to you, too!" as they left.)  And when I explained why the whole thing bothered me - including the fact that people treat each other rudely when they can say No so much more politely - Julia responded that the woman probably just wasn't very happy and that's why she was mean.

She shut me up.

Another morning last week Holly was throwing fits about anything.  She was complaining about Alan moving too slow and being late and just being a jerk.  After they left I asked Julia why she thought Holly acted like that in the mornings.  She told me that she thinks Holly is just tired and she doesn't want to be late, so when she thinks they are going to be late she flips out a little.

Hm.  Good point.

And then Friday afternoon as I picked Julia up from school and we headed to meet Oliver I said to Julia that I had packed her some outfits but probably had not done as good a job at putting them together as she does.  "That's okay," she said. "I'll have clothes and that's all that matters."

Okay.

My baby girl is growing up.

No comments: